Pleasant Grove Utah History
Pleasant Grove (originally called Battle Creek) is one of Utah's most famous trees, known as Utah City Trees, located in Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA, north of Salt Lake City. It is located on the west side of the Colorado River near the intersection of South Main Street and Pleasant Avenue.
It is named after a battle that took place there in 1849 and is the site of one of the most famous battles in Utah history, the Battle of Pleasant Grove. The Mormons were trying to stop Indians accused of stealing cows from Mormon settlers in the region. Indian women and children followed the men to the Salt Lake Valley, where they were fed and looked after by the Mormon community when they decided to leave their "Indian friends." The reason for this particular conflict was a herd of horses, which the Mormons believed had been stolen by the Utes.
The troops also moved into Utah County, establishing Camp Floyd in the area now known as Cedar Fort, and they also moved their troops to Pleasant Grove. Battle Creek remained the name of the area until the Mormons decided a year later to change it to "Pleasant Grove." Later, the settlers decided on a name that would build the town and called themselves the "town of Pleasant Grove," after the cotton grove that sits on the west side of the Salt Lake River north of Cedar City. The city became known as Pleasant Grove and is the scene of one of the most famous battles in Utah history.
The settlers called themselves the "City of Pleasant Grove" after the cotton grove located on the west side of the Salt Lake River north of Cedar City. Later, the settlers decided on a name that was constructive and called the town "Pleasant Grove," a nod to its location in western Utah County. The residents later decided on a better name and called it "The City of Liberty," in honor of its proximity to the Utah State Capitol and the United States Capitol.
When Oliver Boardman Huntington traveled to the Utah Valley in 1849, he met hostile Native Americans in the area. Few of the early settlers participated, but a Mormon expedition decided to settle in Pleasant Grove after building a farm for themselves. The Mormon pioneers settled the land in the Utah Valley after a militia member observed the ground during the expedition. They found an area with agricultural potential that they liked the altitude and proximity to Salt Lake City and Cedar City, and so they settled on their own farm.
They left Salt Lake City and took horses from Brigham Young, but there was a predominantly Mormon population that loathed the move. An Indian friend, known as Roman Nose and his family, told Huntington that he had driven them out of Little Chief, who ignored his advice to stop stealing Mormon cattle. The so-called renegade band of Indians from Pleasant Grove, Utah, and about 30,000 locals poured out of their homes and escaped under the influence of the troops.
President Benson pointed out that the old LDS church in Pleasant Grove is for sale and Dr Andersen needs to move quickly to get it back. UDOT said it had proposed that Cedar Hills and Pleasant Grove take over Canyon Road, but the city was not interested. There was controversy over whether they would take responsibility for the road north of the canal, as it was up to local residents to drive.
If you're visiting Pleasant Grove, the nearest hotels are in Orem and American Fork, but if you're visiting, it's a great place for a long - lasting community celebration of the LDS Church and its history. The old Pleasant Grove Fort was built in the late 18th century at the intersection of Canyon Road and Canyon Boulevard. Pleasant Grove has a unique history, which is still largely present today.
In 1924, the southern city boundary was changed: Lindon, known as Utah State Road (which stretches east of Utah Lake into the mountains), became a community town. It was called "State Road" and was part of the Salt Lake City - Pleasant Grove Highway (now Canyon Boulevard).
Many other communities were officially founded the following year, in 1850, including Pleasant Grove, Battle Creek, Cedar City and other parts of Salt Lake City. Other companies built on almost every creek that passed through the Wasatch Mountains, including Battle Creek and Pleasant Grove, as well as on the east side of Utah Lake.
The Utah Valley was chosen by Mormon leaders as a settlement area, which led to further conflicts with the Ute Indians in the region. When the Anglo-Americans first invaded traditional Indian territories, the Utes seemed friendly to the Mormons. The first plants were in what is now Nunn Park, named after Lucien Luccen, in Pleasant Grove.